[Novalug] Exchangimng files

Megan Larko larkoc@iges.org
Mon May 12 13:49:55 EDT 2008

Charles M Howe wrote:

Hi,

> List,
>
> I have two computers, one running Ubuntu 6.04 and the other 8.04. As I
> related a couple of weeks ago, I bought a Netgear Powerline Network Kit,
> XE102G, which allowed me to get online with the machine with Hardy
> installed. Wireless wouldn't work.
>
> Neither machine is a server.
>
> How do I exchange files?

Am I correct in understanding that you want only to exchange files
between the two computers?  Is each on a network?

You say neither machine is a server.   One way in which to exchange
files would be to enable sshd (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) on one or both
machines.   I would use the defaults, particularly X11Forwarding yes and
PermitRootLogin no (log in as a regular user and then escalate to root
if necessary).     You may then ssh file.name
computer2:/new/path/newfile.name    You will be prompted for the userid
password.

Another thing you could do is enable ftpd, but I would go for ssh as a
first choice.

megan