[Novalug] Laptop at FOSE - What to show?

Shawn Wells swells@redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 21:14:52 EDT 2008

Ken Kauffman wrote:
> And who exactly supports Xen in the government space?

Red Hat

>   Does Xen also offer deployable machines and comprehensive management
> tools?

By "deployable machines," I'm assuming you mean the ability to package
up a VM and send it somewhere.  Answer is yes.

virt-manager   -   http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/
oVirt   -   http://ovirt.org/
Enomalism   -   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enomalism
Xen-Tools   -   http://www.xen-tools.org/software/xen-tools/
Ganeti   -   http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/
MLN -   http://mln.sourceforge.net/   <--- I've never actually used this one
HyperVM   -   http://lxlabs.com/
ConVirt   -   http://binarykarma.com/fluidvm_screenshots.php
FluidVM   -   http://binarykarma.com/fluidvm_screenshots.php

> Can you create standalone desktops like Vmware ACE?

Never used ACE so I totally don't know 100% of the features, but looking
through the screen shots it appears so.
/me has something new to learn

> How well does Solaris x86 work inside Xen?
So many people don't know that OpenSolaris is *based* around Xen.  They
call it OpenSolaris xVM.  =P
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/xen/

Anyway, it works alright.  I only know of < 5 customers running it, though.