[Novalug] SuSE 10.3: Populating /dev

Clif Flynt clif@cflynt.com
Sun Mar 23 08:45:16 EDT 2008

Hi,
  I have a bunch of machines that need to be provisioned identically.
There's a lot of customization, and it takes most of a day to install
from DVD, update, install new packages, customize, etc.

  Last year, I was using OpenSuSE 10.1.  I put together a set of
cpio backukps and a couple Tcl scripts to automate the final network
config, and I can stage a new system in about a half hour.

  This year, I need to upgrade to OpenSuSE 10.3.

  For 10.1, I could make a cpio backup of the /dev directory, and
when I restored it, everyone was happy and the system booted.

  Under 10.3, I get these error messages after I've restored the
cpio backup to a new drive:

> Trying manual resume from /dev/sda2
> Invoking in-kernel resume from /dev/sda2
> Attempting manual resume.
>
> Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3120814A_5LS5H6KL-part3.
> Want me to  fall back to
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi/SATA_ST3120814A_5LS5H6KL-part3.

  The original and target drives are IDE drives.  It appears that the
new SuSE is mapping all drives through the SCSI drivers.

  The real problem is that it appears SuSE is mapping drives by their
serial number.  The new drive has a different serial number, and
apparently can't be located.

  Does someone have a favorite trick for cloning systems, or populating
the /dev partition on a mounted filesystem?

  Thanks,
  Clif

--
.... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..