[Novalug] My iPod hates me

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Fri Mar 21 20:12:54 EDT 2008

For Xmas I got the wife a new iPod mini and she handed over her old 3G
iPod with a bad battery. I finally got around to replacing the battery
(easy!) and have loaded RockBox, the open source portable music player
os. Its pretty nice, gives lots of features and I was going to bring it
to FOSE.

The problem is that it will not charge. I plug it into my USB port and I
can mount the drive in either old Apple iPod OS or RockBox (Ubuntu Gutsy
on the laptop), but it wont charge the battery. So I got an adapter for
the Firewire (my laptop has the tiny plug, the ipod cable is a big one)
and it still wont charge. It nicely charges in my wifes macbook, Im sure
just to annoy me.

I'm going to drag it to work on Monday and see what it does in the PCs
there (desktop PCs and not laptops? maybe that makes a difference?)

But if anyone has some advice, Im all ears..

Nick