[Novalug] Case Mod

Brian Leeper brian.leeper@gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:33:43 EDT 2008

Yes.

Actually even a metal case is no guarantee that interference will not occur.

Years ago I had a 386 DX 40 and a rooftop TV antenna. The 386 trashed the
picture on channel 5 whenever it was on, made it unwatchable.

At about the same time A-Open was advertising that their cases, if used with
A-Open motherboards, would be an FCC class B certified combination. I looked
at one of the A-Open cases..one of the differences I saw was that the A-Open
case used metal fingers between many the metal parts to ensure that they had
a low-impedance electrical connection between them. I decided to get one.

I reinstalled the components of the 386 DX 40 into the A-Open case and the
interference to channel 5 was greatly reduced. You could still tell that the
computer was on but just barely.

Since that time, if I needed an AT case guess which one I bought...

I don't know which ATX cases are good at reducing interference. I don't have
a rooftop antenna here to do any tests with.