[Novalug] RedHat Desktop Subscription Model

Brian Jebian news@jebian.com
Fri Mar 14 11:14:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 08:24 -0400, Ken Kauffman wrote:
>         > - I want corporate support of the desktop
>

>         OK, so assuming this discussion is about paying once vs paying
>         every
>         year, how did you come to choose the $179 version of Red Hat?
>         /think/ you're referring to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop
>         +
>         Workstation, which supports up to 2 CPUs, an unlimited amount
>         of RAM
>         and some server apps like apache, samba and NFS.  So, does
>         your laptop
>         have dual core?
>
> Yes. Lenovo T61P.
>

>         > - I want to evaluate RedHat products
>

>         As what kind of user:
>         * technical developer / engineer / sysadmin
>

> technical developer / engineer / sysadmin
>
>         > - This is all on my personal time and my personal laptop
>

>         Then in the interest of preserving that oh-so-precious
>         personal time
>         for things like family and beach vacations, might I suggest
>         Ubuntu?
>         :-)
>
> I currently am using Kubuntu.  But the products are not supported on
> it.
>
> Ahem, I wasn't soliciting advice on how to spend time with my family.
> I only caution, because to another person, that's a bit insulting.
>
> Thanks
> Ken

I have found that red hat support is excellent but  when I used to use
RHEL, and the subscription ran out, you were screwed when it came to
getting security updates.  Has that changed?  And if not, are there yum
repositories out there where one can get security updates without the
continued red hat network subscription.

-Brian