[Novalug] Re: [Ma-linux] kernel naming

DonJr djr1952@hotpop.com
Mon Mar 3 11:48:52 EST 2008

Then you look in the Distribution generated /boot/grub/menu.lst file and
see something like this:

## ## End Default Options ##
title   Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root    (hd0,4)
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=f50fa89e-de65-43a4-9255-b4d8239533f4 ro quiet splash
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet
savedefault

On which spindle/drive partition is the "root partition" really on?

Note I could use:
title   Linux generic Kernel
root    (hd0,4)
kernel  /vmlinuz root=UUID=f50fa89e-de65-43a4-9255-b4d8239533f4 ro quiet splash
initrd  /initrd.img
quiet
savedefault

title   Linux generic Kernel OLD
root    (hd0,4)
kernel  /vmlinuz.old root=UUID=f50fa89e-de65-43a4-9255-b4d8239533f4 ro quiet splash
initrd  /initrd.img.old
quiet
savedefault

As the kernel install scripts by default maintain these symbolic links
with /vmlinuz pointing to the current default kernel to load.

It the "optional" kernel parameters that can get a little tricky at
times.

To figured out the mapping of Grub drive ID's ie (hdX) to Linux devices
look in the file: /boot/grub/device.map
 cat /boot/grub/device.map
  (hd0)   /dev/sda

The default when this file doesn't exist is BIOS order followed by
"found". As Grub has it's own drivers that can go beyound what the BIOS
sees.