[Novalug] EeePC/F8 update : glitch

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Mon Mar 3 10:34:41 EST 2008

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Paul Bohme wrote:

>>> Just don't be quite as enthusiastic in your pruning on the
>>> next run through.. ;-)
>>
>>     <sigh> I know patience is a virtue -- and its own
>> punishment ...
>
> Slow and easy is the rule here - change one thing at a time and
> test the daylights out of it.  (Pretend it's a good ol'
> fashioned Windows install and reboot regularly... ;->)  You're
> probably going to end up removing quite a few packages again,
> but go slow. Not too big of batches, and when in doubt leave
> things that you're not 100% sure of alone.  I tend to keep
> copious notes during this kind of process (love KDE's 'basket')
> so I at least know where things went off the rails..

 	I normally run through pirut twice. The first time I look
at each item in the left column; then at the first one on the
right, and go through the optional stuff. Whenever I rack up a
bunch of changes, I do an Apply, to see what *else* will be
involved. If it's OK, I let it work, and go to the next.

 	I have not normally been doing reboots in between. I
guess I'd better.

 	I *am* doing one quite different thing. Puppy had made it
quite easy, even encouraged me, to install to a thumb drive
instead of the hard drive; and it seems to run all right so long
as that's there. So this time I looked around, and sure enough,
Fedora let me install to one, too.

 	(I used a 1 GB 'geek stick,' as my pathologist friend
calls them, for Puppy -- and an 8 GB one, twice the size of the
EeePC's own hard drive, for F8. I also have a 4 GB SD memory card
in it, partitioned mostly to swap.)

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --