[Novalug] How to Encourage Women in Linux

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Fri Jun 27 10:38:12 EDT 2008

Dan Arico wrote:
> I beg to differ. I majored in chemistry in college. In order to complete my
> degree, I had to take a bit less than three times the liberal arts courses
> that a liberal arts major had to take in science and math. My degree was
> broader based than the supposedly well-rounded curriculum that the liberal
> arts types did.

You went to a more broad thinking school then. Good for you :-)  I will
say I generalized quite a bit but no more-so then any HR representative
would do. Just as they assume a degree from Yale/Harvard/MIT means you
are brighter then someone with a degree from a state school.  If its not
too personal, where did you go? When my neices/nephews as for advice on
college the only thing I say to them is to take a class in something you
are interested in that has NOTHING to do with your major. Just to get a
feel for life. I used to say 'try everything' but now-a-days that has a
completely incorrect meaning. There are so many classes I'm taking now I
wish I did in High School or College but didn't because I was fitting
into my role as 'Computer Guy.'

Nick