[Novalug] Wireless

Bob Copeland me@bobcopeland.com
Fri Jun 27 09:21:43 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Dan Arico <dan_arico@aricosystems.com> wrote:
> OK, guys. What does this mean? How do I fix it?
>
> I'm trying to get wireless working on my Thinkpad under OpenSUSE 11.0. My card
> uses the Atheros chip set, but when I try to install the software, this is
> what I get.
>
> #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2008-06-26 18:08:21 ####
>
> nothing provides kernel(vmlinux) = 6abdebfe413cc710 needed by
> madwifi-kmp-debug-0.9.4_2.6.25_26-1.i586

It sounds like madwifi was built against a specific kernel and
requires it as a prerequisite.  The default SUSE kernel may have
changed since the module was built.  I'm not sure how to make it work
in SUSE specifically, but if I were you I'd try compat-wireless from:

http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

Most atheros developers (myself included) are working on this instead
of madwifi now.  If it doesn't work, you can get madwifi in source
form from subversion on madwifi.org and compile it against whichever
kernel you are running:

$ svn checkout http://svn.madwifi.org/madwifi/trunk madwifi
$ make && sudo make install

--