[Novalug] disk :(

Kevin Cole dc.loco@gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:31:37 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 18:15, Mark Smith <mark@winksmith.com> wrote:

> if the head is misaligned, even a hair breadth i would imagine that
> it would either strike the drive plate thus rendering it unreadable
> or be too far away for any amount of accuracy thus rendering it
> unreadable.  i don't pretend to understand the details, but the
> controller heat issue makes more sense than any misaligned moving
> part.  i'm happy to bow down to someone who actually knows though.

Displaying my ignorance in public again... ;-) It doesn't have to be
misaligned in the vertical to be misaligned, right?  In which case, the
misalignment wouldn't cause the head to contact the platter or be too far
away.  Assuming something like concentric circles (cylinders), if it's
"reading between the lines" (pun intended) it might have a different view of
the data.  Or, if the angle of the arm to the central "spindle" is off, that
could affect things as well.   Instead of [warning: weak ASCII art]

top view:   ----(---0   )

you might have ----(-- 0 )  i.e. arm too far away from the center (or with a
slight alteration to the beautiful high resolution graphic, too close to the
center)

      /
or  /(   0   )  arm "bent" away from the center

No?

--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
Washington, DC