[Novalug] Fwd: What makes Linux great...

Donald Tidrow dtidrow@patriot.net
Tue Jun 17 23:01:20 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 20:30 -0400, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> My thanks to everybody who is replying to my other thread.  I'm finding
> all the information interesting and insightful and I hope you consider
> it worth your time to read (and write.)
>
> I don't want anyone to think I've given up on linux, so I'd like to make
> a simple list of what *you* like about Linux.  I think by hearing what
> you like I might find some new things to appreciate and we'll all
> benefit as a group.
>
> My list starts like this:
>
> 1) Its free.  My workplace is directly impacted by the rise in fuel and
> food costs. (I run a restaurant these days.) and knowing that Linux
> costs $0 today and will cost $0 tommorrow is simply wonderful.  I truly
> believe this is the most compelling feature of Linux.
>
> 2) Its filled with Free and Open Source software. I'm not big on
> politics, but I respect the fact that the licenses of the software I use
> are quietly benefiting me as I use them and plan on using them in my
> future.
>
> 3) Control.  I used to program full time, but never in C, Python, Perl,
> etc., many of the languages that Linux software is built on, so I can't
> grab the source code and customize it for me. But the Free and Open
> source software the Linux is built on respects the fact that the user
> may want to configure things differently.  Configuration is available at
> almost all level of the operating system and applications and I've
> always been thrilled about this.  I like the fact that if I don't  a
> particular default, I can usually change it, easily.
>
> 4) Programs for power users.  I work with mp3s quite a bit and use
> EasyTAG to clean up their id3 tags.  EasyTAG is a graphical
> point-and-click program with the kind of power and sorcery that all us
> Unix users had with the command line.  I'm sure EasyTag was written by a
> programmer with a sophisticated, power-hungry user base in mind.  In
> this case, I don't want super-simple and user-friendly, I crave power
> and get it!

EasyTAG rocks!  Better yet, you can use id3tag (the command-line tool)
and write a tag update script for tagging old-time radio shows you've
downloaded from archive.org  :-)

Don

--
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want
is big enough to take it all away." -- Barry Goldwater

|  Don Tidrow   |
|  Vis-Sim geek |