[Novalug] Can someone please settle this?

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Tue Jun 17 18:04:21 EDT 2008

it probably matters on your configuration.  you can certainly pick
up some speed by getting two different spindles working at the same
time.  moving a head is the slowest thing you can do in this
operation.  if swap can be on one spindle and the thing you want
to access on another you'll pick up some speed.  it probably doesn't
matter too much if it's a separate partition or a file because of
this.  head movement is way slower than traversing layers of kernel.

having said that, you should just avoid swapping in the first place.
it's useful as hell, but it's still the planet killer.

--
Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com