[Novalug] pauses in wireless connection

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Thu Jun 5 11:24:25 EDT 2008

I'm having an annoying behavior with my FiOS WiFi
setup.  The equipment in question is:

	ActionTec MI424WR broadband router/wifi access point
	Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with Intel 3945 wifi card

The laptop is the only wireless equipment I have.  I often
use it for browsing the net while TV watching and to remotely
access other hardwired computers on my SOHO lan.

Quite often the network connection for an application will
stop working.  The three apps most often affected ssh, firefox,
or vncviewer/rdesktop.  Most often this happens after I have
not used the application for a while, worked in another window
for a few minutes, got caught up in the action on tv for a bit,
or other reasons.  When I return to the application, the network
does not respond.

Another way the pauses show up is in the middle of working.  I
might be typing in the ssh or browser window, hesitate a second or
two, and when I resume typing, nothing, no response, no echo of
the characters.  This type of unresponsiveness often does reverse.
But not for 1 or 2 minutes.  Then my buffered characters
suddenly appear and are acted upon by the remote application.

In contrast, the first type of behavior never, when I've been away
from the application for a while, never returns.  Yet it is not
a loss of network connection.  I can work in other windows or a
new window even while the dead one remains dead.

The laptop is dual boot, Ubuntu Hardy Heron and Windows XP Pro.
I see the same behavior under both OSs.  I don't see these
behaviors on the hardwired connections to the ActionTec.

Last year, in NJ, I had Comcast and used a Netgear AP and
never had these symptoms, so I'm "blaming" the ActionTec.

Searching the net I see some similar complaints about the ActionTec,
but they all seem to be with the hardwired or coax connections.
And none seem to come to a resolution.

Anyone else seeing something similar or have suggestions before
I call Verizon?

jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com