[Novalug] [Dclug] Open Source vs Free Software

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08@maxwellspangler.com
Wed Jul 16 19:37:52 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 10:02 -0400, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> I would say that Mr. Maxwell has captured the difference exactly.  When
> you look at the objective criteria, "free software" and "open source
> software" meet the same criteria.  It is only when you get to the "why"
> that things differ...

So the definitions of Free Software and Open Source software are pretty
much the same, but the reasons why those definitions are important are
what requires them to be two communities instead of one?

Funny, sounds a lot like Coke & Pepsi to me.  If you'd have to describe
either of those to someone who had never tried them, you'd define
'cola'.  It would only be after some time of drinking one type or
another that a reasonable person would start to have serious opinions
about which one is better.

I like Linux.  I like Free Software and I like Open Source Software.

But I really don't like the egos and politics involved with what
otherwise could be such a good thing.