[Novalug] [Dclug] 3 weeks to Linux picnic!!

Serge Wroclawski serge@wroclawski.org
Tue Jul 15 17:40:06 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:33:21AM -0400, Theodore Ruegsegger wrote:
> As usual, a lot of people piled on to disparage any mention of Free
> Software. That's nothing new but, again as usual, the rhetoric soon
> got silly, e.g:
>
> > Also if something is not to your liking, it would be good to give a nice
> > pointer to the mistake. No reason to go ballistic on a well intended
> > message.
>
> Out of all the followups to the original post, I think Serge's polite
> correction was the least "ballistic" remark.
>
> Why is it so hard to tell the difference between dissent from the
> orthodoxy and flaming?

Ted,

I appreciate your comment. All too often I recieve off list replies
from people saying "I agree with you, but I didn't want to speak up"
(usually out of fear of flaming).

All I've done is respectfully ask that the wording of the announcement
be changed to be inclusive. Inclusivity, I'd hope, would be one of the
goals of an event, and really, how hard is it to append two words to
an announcement?

I've not flamed anyone about this, but I do hold the local LUG lists
to a higher standard than I might for someone outside the
community. People within the FLOSS community should understand that we
all come at this for different reasons, with different viewpoints and
with different goals. We don't all need to agree, but they should be
acknowledged. This is especially true when one group has done much of
the work.

This event was, it's my understanding, an outreach event for the
community and beyond and I thought it useful if someone spoke up and
tried to make it inclusive.

- Serge