[Novalug] Power supply upgrade

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 08:22:36 EDT 2008

Rich,

Are you SURE you have the 20 Pin + the 4 Pin + the ATX connector?   Just plug in those three and see if it boots.  Don't connect anything else until you have successfully booted to the BIOS screen with just those connectors.

If you want to test the power supply, take a paper clip and connect the Green wire in the 20 pin connector to one of the adjacent black wires.  If your hair stands on end then you are good. (Ok, your hair should be fine, just the fan will spin - there is only ONE green wire, and both black ones next to it are grounds).

Other than that, I have not seen any recent computer that does not use standard power connectors, so if it still doesn't work, give us more information about which PC you have..

Igor

----- Original Message ----
From: Rich Goodwin <rich.goodwin@cox.net>
To: Brian Little (home) <winzig@comcast.net>; Andy Tornquist <andyt@afua.net>
Cc: NOVALUG <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:14:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Power supply upgrade

Did that earlier - no change.  I have swapped rails, changed the power
connector to the SATA connector directly from the PSU (replaced the
Molex-SATA converter).  Zip.  No beeps.  No boot splash ...  CPU fan
spins.  I even swapped the 530w PSU thinking the 1st one was bad - nope!
Same thing.

I have used the 4-pin connector in conjunction with the 20-pin ATX
connector (in addition to the ATX CPU connector) and without it.

I don't see any HDD power lights directly.  What I saw earlier was a
reflection from the light in the PSU.  I should have caught the color
mismatch.

Weird thing is - I can swap the 250w PSU (using the Molex connector for
the HDD and voila!  It boots....

Andy asked
> How many video cards in the box? Do you get a bios or splash screen?

I intended on installing one thing at a time & testing.  So the new
video card is in the box.  I am only using the integrated video.

I wonder ... are there BIOS settings that can/should be changed???
Hmmm... back to swapping the 250w in ....

Ah this is fun ....

Rich

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 21:44 -0400, Brian Little (home) wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> You most likely also need to connect the PS to the 4 pin connector on
> the mobo.
>
> Brian
> >
> Rich Goodwin wrote:
> > I bought am inexpensive HP from Office Depot.  My intent is to run
> > Second Life on it under Linux.  I bought an nVidia 8600 GTS video card
> > which requires extra power.  Since original power supply is 250w  and
> > won't support the video card.
> >
> > So I bought a 530w power supply from Microcenter.  I connected the ATX
> > power (20 pin) and CPU fan just as the original PSU.  I then connected
> > the hard and DVD drives.  I have not yet installed the video card.
> >
> > The system booted with the 250w PSU.  It will not boot with the 530w!  I
> > don't get a POST beep or any video.  CPU fan spins.  DVD drive works.
> > Hard drive light appears to be lit.  But the system doesn't boot!!
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Rich
> >
> > For thos interested - the system docs are at
> > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00906129&lc=en&cc=de&dlc=&product=3397528

GPG/PGP Key Id: 1B257AEC from pgp.mit.edu

Remember, all Windows machines are, by definition, fault tolerant.

              They run Windows don't they!!