[Novalug] backup mysql files to windows via samba

Norman Bird steelpulsefan@gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:02:21 EDT 2008

Im on Debian Etch and I want to back up my mysql directory and right now the
only other puter is my windows box that I acces fine via samba. I've tried
cp -rv /var/lib/mysql \\\\merlin2\\downloads

everything appears to copy when I use verbose (-v) but the files never
appear on the windows directory. I've tried everything I can think of to get
it to work. I just need to know if it's definetely not possible prior to
moving on to another way.

I've also tried pdumpfs and that does not even recognize the directory on
windows at all. says it does not exist

Also interested in anyone knows another sure method of doing it.
thanks for any help

Norman Bird