[Novalug] Hardware symptom -- dead drive?

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Thu Jul 3 14:47:59 EDT 2008

 	I was warned a few weeks ago that my oldest machine's
hard drive might go any time; not wanting to trouble with
replacing it, I copied off all the data I wanted, and offered it
on vtluug's forum. I got one nibble and one taker -- who never
bothered to get back in touch to arrange a pickup.

 	So I've been treating it more or less as a normal
machine. Till now.

 	It will still boot from a CD. But if you try to boot it
with the drive empty, it hammers away at an alarm bell,
eventually displaying the one word "GRUB," but doing nothing else
except to keep up the alarm.

 	I'm guessing that means the drive finally died. Right?

--
Beartooth Implacable, curmudgeonly codger
Whether to defend yourself, and how,