[Novalug] Ubuntu Upgrade Problems

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Thu Jul 3 12:47:10 EDT 2008

I hate to say it but I feel like I'm back in MS-land. Maybe someone
could share their
sources.list that worked for my situation - going up from 7.04 to 7.10?

The last two attempts at upgrading Ubuntu automagically using
  System | Administration | Update Manager
failed and for similar problems: failure to connect to servers (404s) and

Now, going from 7.04 to 7.10, I see errors during "preparing the
upgrade" like:

Failed to fetch
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy-security/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages.gz

404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy-security/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz

404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not
Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not
Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy-updates/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages.gz

404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz

404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

When I go to
    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/
I see, indeed, that ../dists/edgy-updates/ does not exist!

In going up from 6.xx (I forget what ".xx" was but it was up-to-date) to
7.04, I found an
obscure tip that enabled changing sources.list to find the correct
files! One should not
have to do this!

I'll wait before going to the next level: I see too many problems to go
to version 8.xx.

Thanks in advance.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User