[Novalug] Ubuntu 8.04 - wallpaper and desktop items have disappeared

Joseph Brinkley brinkley.joseph@gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:11:07 EDT 2008

"Geez Jay :P"

Ubuntu is known for being unstable it grabs the latest and sometimes not so
greatest. It is definitely an experimental distro a since Ubuntu has been
out i have seen more and more start grabbing at these New package and
setting them in to prime time with out giving it a test runs.

Meh someday they will slow down again right now we can expect things to keep
up this way for awhile.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Jay Hart <jhart@kevla.org> wrote:

> /rant mode on
>
> So, you changed one little thing, now you have broken system.  I'm sick of
> "new features" in Linux when basic functionality is still an issue. I am
> wondering when distros will stop adding new feature after new feature when
> the
> underlying infrastructure is not as stable as it could be.  Make the
> distros
> core features stable, then go back to adding new features...  Cool stuff
> ain't
> cool if it doesn't work 100% of the time.
>
> /rant mode off
>
> Jay
>
> Jim, this is not aimed at you for anything you did.
>
> > I am using Ubuntu 8.04.
> >
> > I was fiddling around with changing wallpaper, and I have broken
> > the desktop somehow.  When I log in, none of the items on my desktop
> > are visible, and no wallpaper is displayed.  The files and directories
> > are still present, but they are not being displayed on the desktop.
> >
> > If I select System | Preferences | Appearance from the menu, the
> > Appearance Preference window opens for a half-second and then
> > closes before I can see or change anything.
> >
> > Any ideas about how to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks.

-Joseph Brinkley