[Novalug] OT: Chat Software

Jason P. Thomas jthomasp@gmualumni.org
Tue Jul 1 16:51:55 EDT 2008

Kevin Druff wrote:
> NOVALug -- I am searching for a way to implement a chat function on a
> website. I would prefer a PHP/SQL solution, as that's where I'm most
> comfortable coding, but would be willing to look at a Java solution. One
> of the key features I'm looking for is the ability to display multiple
> chat rooms at once. Specifically, I would like to have a moderated room
> that displays at the top of the page and an un-moderated room below
> where all participants are free to chat at their leisure.
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys have.
>
> Kevin

I'm not an expert, but I thought I'd toss out an idea.  You might try
using a cgi based IRC client.  A quick google found http://cgiirc.org/
as a perl based option.  On IRC you can create moderated channels with
the channel mode +m.  Setting a user mode +o or +v allows them to type
in there, everyone else can only read.  cgiirc appears to have a tabbed
interface, but it might be able to cascade windows or something of the
sort.  I'm sure there are plenty of other options for cgi based irc
clients since IRC has been around so long.

Using IRC gives you all the power of IRC, but it can also give you
headaches as well.  Picking a decent network can minimize the headaches
though.

--Jay