[Novalug] Motherboard Choices

Julia Christianson juliac@patriot.net
Thu Jan 31 00:33:20 EST 2008

Mike Shade wrote:
> My question is this -- what boards and other manufacturers do you
> suggest?  Perhaps staying away from a chipset fan is the better idea
> here, and if I decide to go that route with a new board, I'll likely
> choose Asus again.

The great majority of the machines I've built and had built in the
last few years have used Asus motherboards, and I've always found them
very reliable ... except the latest one, come to think of it, which
has been spontaneously rebooting lately.  Anyhow, I was shopping for a
motherboard today and had a surprisingly hard time finding an Asus
with better than lukewarm reviews.  The more I read the more I became
convinced that Asus isn't making them like they used to, at least not
the ones for Intel socket 775.  I wound up buying a Gigabit, can let
you know how it works in a few days ... though it's possible the
quality issue is different for AMD boards.

-- Julia