[Novalug] computer stopped w/o trace in logs, probably too hot

David A. Hammond hammonds@erols.com
Mon Jan 28 10:14:57 EST 2008

Just a suggestion for when you vacuum out (or blow air
through) a computer to clean it.

First "pin" the fans with a toothpick (small fans like
CPU fans) or a screwdriver (large fans like case and
power supply fans) to prevent rotation.  Otherwise the
powerful blast of air from the vacuum cleaner or air
bottle will spin the fans far faster than their normal
operating speed.  The bearings are not designed for
these speeds and will often suffer permanent damage
leading to early failure.

I had several premature fan failures (in at least one
instance leading to loss of a CPU) before I read about
this trick somewhere.  Can't recall having a problem
since then.

Hope this helps someone,
Dave

< big snip >