[Novalug] computer stopping, for no observable reason (that I know of).

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Sun Jan 27 12:29:55 EST 2008

> On Sunday 27 January 2008 11:57, Nino Pereira wrote:
>
>> Now, the machine has been up for 30 minutes or so, and seems to be
>> doing well. Therefore, I surmise that there's a thermal cutoff, on
>> the chip or the power supply or elsewhere (or everywhere it matters).
>>
>> Any comments? Is there some secret file that keeps track of mysterious
>> problems like these? the temperature? And, is it better to keep the
>> case open than closing it? What about adding some more fans (I have
>> lots, and they work on 110 V so that they don't load the power supply)?
>
> My first guess is the CPU overheated causing a shutdown. More fans would
> certainly help.

Many moons ago, I had a developer call me about how slow his PC was running
(back in the day of NT 4.0).  I went to his cubicle to check his problem out.
The PC was sitting under the desk, towards the back. It smelled like something
was burning. I had the guy shut down the PC, it was running so slow in took
about ten minutes. So, I got under the desk and went to remove the cover and
burned my hand. Using more caution now, I got the cover removed and discovered
not one of the fans in PC was working.  The drives were SUPER hot, not to
mention the CPU.  Box was a total lose.  Did manage after a few days to
recover most of his data.

Jay