[Novalug] OT - SIP, Jabber, M$ and Open Source

Paul D. Bain paulbain@cox.net
Fri Jan 25 18:23:52 EST 2008

---- Jay Hart <jhart@kevla.org> wrote:
> There was an article at linux.com about Jabber and Openfire the other day.  It
> looked interesting, you might start there.
>
> Jay
>
> > Warning: Not a Linux Posting
> >
> > I'm researching Open Source SIP

     Uhm, "SIP?" I am not familiar with that acronym. See my further comments below.

> > and/or Jabber servers and applications to
> > provice IM in a corporate environment.  Right now our office is 100%
> > Microsoft.  Everone is using AIM and the powers that be are suddenly
> > interested in implementing an in-house IM product but don't want to spend
> > any money for Live Communications Server.
> >
> > I see this this as a great opportunity to open the door to an Open Source
> > product.
> >
> > Does anyone have any input for an Open Source IM Client/Server that will run
> > on Windoze?

     When I first investigated Jabber in 2001, it ran on Linux _exclusively_. It did not run on Windows, *BSD, or Mac OS. Jabber has probably  been ported to *BSD by now, but I doubt that it has been ported to Windows.

     My understanding is that, now, several IM clients can use the Jabber protocol, XMPP. FWIW, IIRC, AOL has now switched to XMPP, abandoning its proprietary IM protocol, but this move is almost certainly too late to save AOL's IM network. If your employer wants to implement a Jabber server, then perhaps it wants such a server to be able to communicate with AOL's Jabber servers. After all, you state that your employer is already using  AIM, AOL Instant Messenger.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain