Easy to use/install (was Re: [Novalug] Community contribution)

DonJr djr1952@hotpop.com
Wed Jan 23 22:22:56 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 20:30 -0500, DonJr wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 13:05 -0800, Beartooth wrote:
   <snip>
> > then the launch was useless -- it got no info.
>
> Not sure what you mean by U7.
> How was the icon configured?
> Should of been something like:
>    gksudo /path/qtparted
>
> { or something to that effect. }
> If it was "sudo" that was a mistake before Ubuntu 7.10, not sure what
> they've changed.

I got courious as to where the change was and how it worked and what
might break it.

According to the "changelog.Debian.gz" file
Somewhere about version (1.6.8p1ubuntu6) dapper they added the
preservation of DISPLAY, XAUTHORITY and XAUTHORIZATION to the default
set of preserved variables for non-almighty sudoers.

So as long as the NEW UserID can read the file pointed to by XAUTHORITY.
  (root no problem, but if you are using it for a RunAs effect, well:)
And XAUTHORIZATION doesn't contain something invalid.
  { I think the preservation of this one was a possible mistake, since
it has no known meaning to X Windows. }

There should be no problem with this form of XAUTHORITY passing.
<sG> Provided that super user 'root' doesn't decided to NULL-OUT the
file pointed to by XAUTHORITY or otherwise invalidate it. <sG>

--
  DonJr