Easy to use/install (was Re: [Novalug] Community contribution)

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Wed Jan 23 12:47:41 EST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, DonJr wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 06:47 -0500, Kevin Dwyer wrote:
>> On 1/22/08, DonJr <djr1952@hotpop.com> wrote:
>>         Are the other simple choice to the file /etc/sudoers add or
>>         adjust the
>>         following entry:
>>             # Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
>>             %admin  ALL=(ALL)  NOPASSWD: ALL
>>
>>         Add the "NOPASSWD:" part to the entry.
>>         And make sure that your normal userid is a member of the group
>>         admin.
>>
>>         The GUI type application will no longer ask you for your
>>         password and
>>         when using 'sudo' from the command line it won't either.
>>
>> It's definitely convenient, but is this really a configuration
>> that you want to advocate?  This sounds like Windows 98
>> security.
>
> Beartooth was making noise about have to retype his password
> all the time in the following statement:
>>>       Apart from that, however, if you don't mind retyping
>>> your password every time you turn around
[...]
> As far as recommending it, well that depends on who has access to your
> terminal/login and what your planning on using the system for.
>
>> This sounds like Windows 98 security.

 	Remember also -- as I pointed out at the time -- that
nobody ever comes near the physical machine but me. (I also run
normal linux software firewalls, plus denyhosts and other things;
and the machines sit behind a router.)

 	So am I making myself any more vulnerable to a remote
attack somehow?

--
Beartooth Paganus, Staffwright, Sciurivore
What do they know of country, who only country know?