[Novalug] Community contribution

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Tue Jan 22 10:41:52 EST 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 10:20, Theodore Ruegsegger wrote:

> I'm quite happy to focus on those already part of our community.
> Certainly we can improve our user interfaces, but let's not declare
> failure just because something isn't idiot-proof or requires some
> learning.
>
> Ted

Let me tell a little story.

I had some problems running Linux on that laptop I got for my daughter, but I
finally got everything to work. Two days ago, she was sitting at her Windows
desktop machine (XP) and it did its usual windoze thing. The screen flashed,
files disappeared, it rebooted and her browser and e-mail settings were gone.
She pounded the table and screamed, "Windows sucks! I hate it!"

She's been happily using her laptop ever since and the other computer hasn't
even been turned on.

Being able to get a Linux computer off the shelf in major chains is the key.
Say what you want about the slick GUI. In the long run, what counts is
stability. Anybody with half a brain can learn to use the software for the
usual things people do with software.

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.