[Novalug] bonnie benchmarking

Megan Larko larkoc@iges.org
Wed Jan 16 03:25:38 EST 2008

Hello,

I would like to get some benchmarks on my filesystem on my work
computer.  It is a 16-slot JBOD with an LSI edge card.  The drives in
the 16 bays are all sATA Hitachi Ultrastar 1Tb units.   I used parted to
partition them.   I used mke2fs -j -T largefile -m 1 for one group of
drives passed to the CentOS 5 system.   The other group of drives I did
the same mke2fs but with out the -T largefile option.   Using 8 drives
each, the size formatted was 5.4Tb and 5.5Tb respectively.  I am
wondering about the performance of the set-up.  How does this new LSI
edge card compare with the internal Sil cards in the other boxes?  Does
the "largefile" option make any difference?     I may even scrap the
5.4Tb ext3 and try the experimental ext4 or ZFS file system.

I am leaning toward using bonnie for this to get some numbers to compare
amongst file systems on the same disks (which will hopefully have some
meaning).

Is there a good bonnie HOWTO out there.  My searches didn't come up with
much in the way of usage of bonnie, only benchmark results done by
others.  What would be good arguments to supply to the test?

Thanks group!
megan