[Novalug] linux update security?

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Tue Jan 15 12:55:07 EST 2008

> On 1/15/08, Jay Hart <jhart@kevla.org> wrote:
>>
>> >Shawn spoketh:
>> >
>> > In a corporate environment I'm going to assume you aren't building your
>> > computers from scratch ;)
>> >

>> Not so fast, I once worked for a firm where I custom built over 300 PCs
>> from
>> parts. I would order everything I needed to build a new PC, minus the PSU
>> and
>> case (unless the PSU was shot then this got bought too).
>>
>> Of course this was in 1998 to 2000.
>

> That sounds expensive.  (Cost of labor to build, time-to-PC, cost of QA,
> cost of repair.)

Not when you factor in they bought low-cost hardware, and I mean low-cost.

For instance, I would on average, lose 5 power supplies a week due to failure.
I once had one (power supply) catch fire while I was working on the machine.
Filled up the server room with smoke, opened up the doors to air out the room,
people in the firm thought the room was on fire, I had to spend  a few running
around the office telling people not to worry, the place was not on fire.

This incidence prompted the firm to start buying better quality (meaning
higher-cost) parts.

Me, I interned at $13/hour, very cheap...

I was working on the side doing repairs for $55/hr.

Jay