[Novalug] Laptop Follow-up

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Fri Jan 11 10:12:38 EST 2008

I thought some of you might be interested in a follow-up on that Lenovo 3000
laptop I got at MicroCenter.

I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on it. (Actually my daughter did with me looking
over her shoulder.) The installation went off without a hitch except for two
issues. The graphics are gorgeous and the hardware was all detected.

Two problems remained. The sound was dead because of a configuration issue and
the wireless didn't work. With Greg's help, the sound is now working. The
problem was in the configuration file. The sound card was detected properly,
but the model needed to be changed to lenovo. Those of you who were at the
meeting no doubt noticed when the change was made. I'm having a problem with
the sound level. The mixer doesn't change it. My daughter is using a set of
earphones that have a volume control so I'm not concerned about that for now.

Wireless remains a problem. The wireless card uses the Broadcom chip set and I
haven't been able to get ndiswrapper to work. If I could locate a card with a
miniPCI Express connector and the Atheros chip set, I'd just swap it out and
be done with it.

All in all, I'd say it was a good buy at $399.

Theresa is taking to the laptop just fine. She's starting to use it in
preference to her desktop XP machine because it's faster to boot and a lot
more stable.

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.