[Novalug] LTSP (was: Booting (several PCs) from USB drive)

Kevin Cole dc.loco@gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:35:58 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 12:58 PM, Joel Fouse <joel@fouse.net> wrote:

>  LTSP is something I'm suddenly very interested in and would love if someone
> had some useful quick-start pointers.  My wife has been using Ubuntu for a
> year or two now on a desktop PC, and I recently upgraded her to Gutsy.  The
> only problem is that she occasionally has bad back flareups which require
> her to spend large amounts of time on the couch or recliner, during which
> periods of time she often wants to borrow my laptop.  Hence my motivation.
> ;D  I have in my possession an older laptop (I'm thinking P-III 500-ish,
> mebbe 128Mb; don't recall offhand), and I was planning on seeing if I could
> get some version of *buntu running on it for her to use in such situations
> when really all she wants is web and email.  Getting it installed is its own
> challenge, because there isn't a built-in CD and bios doesn't provide boot
> from USB or network.  At this point I'm thinking I'll have to yank the drive
> and stick it in something else to install, and try to deal with the
> consequences of the massive hardware switch after the fact.  But that's
> beside the point.
>
>  Assuming I can get to the point of installing /something/, I started to
> wonder if something like LTSP might be a handier solution using her desktop
> as the "server", so that she would still be working with her normal prefs,
> desktop files, etc.  Is this possible?  Am I missing the mark of what LTSP
> is capable?  How would I go about setting up such a thing?  The ltsp.org
> site isn't quite clear to my quick glance -- I'm not sure at various points
> whether they're referring to the client or the server. :P
>
>  Any thoughts appreciated!

Well, since you asked for ANY thoughts... ;-)

Have a look at both Edubuntu and K12LTSP to get a sense what it's all
about (Alfie)

http://k12ltsp.org/
http://www.edubuntu.org/

Both are terminal servers for the classroom, and have clues for the
uninitiated.

Disclaimer: **I* haven't set up either, but know a few people who have.
--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
Washington, DC