[Novalug] Advantages of server based on CentOS/Ubuntu, etc?

Paul W. Frields stickster@gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 17:08:09 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 00:13 -0500, DonJr wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 10:42 -0500, Shawn Wells wrote:
> > DonJr wrote:
> > > In all the time that I ran RedHat in the {:distant:} past I never once
> > > even successfully upgraded in place from one version to the next.
> >
> > Hmm, that must have been awhile ago ;)
> >
> > # yum update redhat-release
> > # yum -y update
>
> Yes my usage of RedHat was pre-yum.
>
> And I had more of a tendance back then to install packages from other
> sources and Custom made packages.
>
> Although as far as "Custom packages" apt and apt-get seem to handle them
> with no problem, as long as they are properly defined.

Even back in the day there were not-terribly-difficult ways to solve RPM
dependencies:

http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/rhce/rpm.html

I finally thought to send that in around Red Hat Linux 9.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/