[Novalug] Re: Ubuntu / Centos

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sat Jan 5 18:53:23 EST 2008

Bear: you may be past this point but take a look at the menu.lst on the
centos partition. My favorite is to use a Knoppix disk to boot from -
easiest way I've found to look around. Icons appear on the "desktop"
and, if I recall correctly, you have to right-click on them to mount
(?). The Knoppix cheat codes page helps. I recall finding it (I think)
on the same ftp dir with downloads of Knoppix ISOs.

As for the frustration of sudo sudo sudo: here's a great tip I picked up
from a Ubuntu install "fest:"

    sudo bash
after responding to the password prompt, you will be in a second bash
shell with the power of ROOT! Cuhl be careful.

Then you can do things like, from the command line,
    nautilus
and explore directories with the powers of root - even change
permissions as I recall. You might even be able to find menu.lst and
right-click on it to edit the file. If not, open an other terminal
window, sudo bash . . . pword . . . and command gedit to edit with the
power of root - needed to edit menu.lst!

And, re-reading, I seem to have discovered the power of editing grub
parameters during boot to see if you are successful. When you hit on
success, you know what to change in menu.txt!

Have fun, as in: flog yourself while watching in the mirror. It hurts so
good and feels even better when you get to stop hitting yourself on the
fingers with a ball peen hammer <ha, ha>. Linux: the ultimate in S&M.

Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
    NEW Email Address: RogerB@bronord.com
    Web Site moved to www.bronord.com

[snip]