[Novalug] Advantages of server based on CentOS/Ubuntu, etc?

James (Jim) Darlack jmdarlack@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 19:45:56 EST 2008

Thanks, Nick. Im taking notes.

  Jim

Nick Danger <nick@hackermonkey.com> wrote:
  James (Jim) Darlack wrote:

> Is there any advantages of one lnux server over the others?

Yes. Many. The question is, which ones apply to you? :-)

The only real advice I can give is to chose something with a long
support cycle. If you go with Ubuntu, chose one the LTS (long term
support) ones. Personally I use RedHat and CentOS. A while back someone
tried to get us to change to Fedora and now I have some lovely Fedora 3
servers with no patches/support, while my CentOS boxes of the same era
are still getting security updates.

Lesson? Chose something with a long turn around and not something that
is a forklift upgrade in 6 months. And this applies for any distro, any
OS. Its more a server admin rule then a "which linux do I need" rule.

After that, you start to get into the nitty gritty of what you like vs
what others like.

Nick