[Novalug] Employee turnover rates

Paul W. Frields stickster@gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:03:36 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 16:59 -0500, Jay Hart wrote:

> >> I'm grabbing popcorn... this is going to be good!

> >> LOL. This is America. Just offshore it all, it will be cheaper and there
> >> will be more money for executive bonuses at the end of the quarter. Who
> >> cares if the company goes under in a year, as long as the executives and
> >> key shareholders get a lifelong supply of money now, they've got nothing
> >> to worry about.
> >>
> >> I live in the Norfolk, VA area where jobs are mainly unchallenging
> >> boring gov't contractor gigs. There are a few gems in the rough. I'm a
> >> huge follower of the housing bubble, and with it has come the
> >> realization that my region isn't very good... and the DC metro area or
> >> Raleigh might be where I want to relocate in the future.
> >
> > Eh, Raleigh's full, check back in a few years....
> >
> Ethan,
>
> Not sure you have lived in this area in the past. Assume for discussion you
> have not.  My advice, Don't move here. Why?  very simple.  Say you sell your
> house in Norfolk for $200,000 and you clear $50,000.  Thats not even a 10%
> down payment on most houses in this area.  Why do all that debt.  I'm getting
> ready to buy a house, and so far, here is what I can afford:
>
> 1. Cardboard box house under I-66 (VA side) bridge
> 2. My own little street grate in downtown DC (you know the ones with steam
> rising for them)
> 3. Any house with less than one bedroom or bathroom, (can't afford to have both)
> 4. A two car garage with un-attached house (meaning just the garage, no house)
>
> Its fscking ridiculous what houses cost in this area.
>
> American dream my ass, more like American slavery,

Agreed about the ludicrous market around here.  It's not a lot better in
other high-income areas though, as I am finding with my move to New
Hampshire.  And there I get to pay a ~1.5-2.2% property tax rate
annually, yay!

BTW, I'm selling a house in case anyone cares; contact me off list for
an MLS.  It's in Fredericksburg, ergo it's more affordable.