[Novalug] Employee turnover rates

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Fri Feb 29 16:59:55 EST 2008

> ethan@757.org wrote:
>>
>>> That would be an excellent discussion.
>>
>> I'm grabbing popcorn... this is going to be good!
>>
>>> Treat your employees with respect
>>> Do not lie to your employees
>>> Offer them fair compensation (pay, benefits, work/life balance etc)
>>> Allow working from home at times if possible
>>> Offer growth opportunities (hire from within)
>>> Listen and solicit ideas from employees
>>> Keep work challenging
>>
>> LOL. This is America. Just offshore it all, it will be cheaper and there
>> will be more money for executive bonuses at the end of the quarter. Who
>> cares if the company goes under in a year, as long as the executives and
>> key shareholders get a lifelong supply of money now, they've got nothing
>> to worry about.
>>
>> I live in the Norfolk, VA area where jobs are mainly unchallenging
>> boring gov't contractor gigs. There are a few gems in the rough. I'm a
>> huge follower of the housing bubble, and with it has come the
>> realization that my region isn't very good... and the DC metro area or
>> Raleigh might be where I want to relocate in the future.
>
> Eh, Raleigh's full, check back in a few years....

Ethan,

Not sure you have lived in this area in the past. Assume for discussion you
have not.  My advice, Don't move here. Why?  very simple.  Say you sell your
house in Norfolk for $200,000 and you clear $50,000.  Thats not even a 10%
down payment on most houses in this area.  Why do all that debt.  I'm getting
ready to buy a house, and so far, here is what I can afford:

1. Cardboard box house under I-66 (VA side) bridge
2. My own little street grate in downtown DC (you know the ones with steam
rising for them)
3. Any house with less than one bedroom or bathroom, (can't afford to have both)
4. A two car garage with un-attached house (meaning just the garage, no house)

Its fscking ridiculous what houses cost in this area.

American dream my ass, more like American slavery,

Jay