[Novalug] Employee turnover rates

Chris Rogers chris@servercave.com
Fri Feb 29 15:06:03 EST 2008

Honestly, from an employer's standpoint, AOL moving is not a terrible thing.  The market needs some good talent.  Classic case of all the good people already having jobs.  My current reqs look like this:

Sales guys
Linux/virtualization engineers
programmers
web designers

I do consulting work for another company, and they are looking for the second req as well.

How much luck have I had?  Heheh.  Let's just say the interviews can be a lot of fun.  I get 10 duds for every good candidate.  Most of those duds pad their resume, and can't speak to a SINGLE thing on it.  The ones that are good often end up taking another job at a higher rate.  Said company I consult for thinks it can get away with Midwest rates in the DC area... anyway...

Qualified talent suddenly finding itself with a need for gainful employment outside of the IT behemoths in the area is a GOOD thing.  Believe me, I'm looking forward to some good interviews for a change as more and more former AOLers hit the market.

Tying that all back in, the DC area is a pretty good place.  You've got the federal government.  I'm doing more and more federal work, and while it can be a pain in the butt, it's nice and consistent.  If you are working for a federal contractor or a sub, you've got some pretty stable, and mostly recession-proof work.  Same mostly goes for state and local.

Oh... infrastructure?  Hehehehe, just wait until you see that Loudoun County property tax bill this year.... Infrastructure indeed....

Chris

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Bidwell" <bidwell@dead-city.org>
Cc: "NOVA LUG" <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 2:39:36 PM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: [Novalug] Employee turnover rates

ethan@757.org wrote:
>> Eh, Raleigh's full, check back in a few years....
>> Matt
>
> A friend moved down there after the .com bust, and noted that there were
> lots of laid off tech people. Now with Nortel laying off, I wonder if
> things will repeat. I'm in a good job now but who knows what the future
> holds.

I moved to Durham not quite two years ago.  I lucked out and got an
admin job with the state/UNC.  I would probably be more worried
working in the NoVa area with AOL falling to pieces.  That said, the
infrastructure around here is not capable of all the growth the
area is going through.  I thought getting things done between
two states and the District was bad.... No, getting things done
between three counties and the town of Chapel Hill is far worse.
So, the work is good, but the region just has no idea what
it's in for growth wise.

Matt