[Novalug] new install of Fedora 8

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Thu Feb 28 17:38:09 EST 2008

Ok,
finally getting around to playing with my new install of FC8.

Two problems:

1. PC doesn't have a connection on my network

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 reports that the NIC is
configured for:
ip 192.168.1.30
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

This is as I initially set it during install, this looks good.

/sbin/ifconfig shows this:

ip 169.254.59.150
bcast 169.254.255.255
mask 255.255.0.0

if I ping 192.168.1.1, get network unreachable error

How to fix this?   I tried /sbin/ifcfg DEV del address/32
returned 'ip: command not found' *Doesn't like the ip address for some reason.

But, any of the combos I've of this command don't work, it seems to have an
error regardless of option supplied.

I also have to manually activate the eht0 interface after booting, instead of
it already being enabled.  According to the System->Admin->Network util, this
interfce is already selected to be enabled at startup, and the address is set
to 192.168.1.30.

So, how to set my ip address to ensure its 192.168.1.30

Problem # 2:

I want to add /sbin to the path, so that when I sudo, I can then run commands
in /sbin. I looked around some of the files in /etc, and in the users home
dir, but didn't see where this is being stored and run at startup.

So, what file do I need to modify to add /sbin to my path?

TIA,  (typing this on a P.O.S. Windows box)

Jay