[Novalug] client server backup systems

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Tue Feb 26 21:44:37 EST 2008

John covici wrote:
> Thanks for your reply -- now Amanda backs up to tape only as far as I
> cantell, is this correct?  If so, this would not work for me at all,
> but it looks that way from their description.

There is a disk file tape emulation mode. I use it when doing tests of
clients rather then wait for the regular tape job to come around. Robots
are slow and when I just want to dump something quick, its easier this
way. Its on the FAQ or wiki, but basically you do something like this,

tapetype HARD-DISK
labelstr "^DailySet1[0-9][0-9]*$"

and then

define tapetype HARD-DISK {
    comment "Hard disk instead of tape"
    length 4000 mbytes  # Simulates end of tape on hard disk (a 4 GB
disk here)
}

goes in amanda.conf so you define a file as the tape in your changer.conf

firstslot 1
lastslot 14

slot 1 file:/u00/amandadumps/tape01

HTH,