[Novalug] wireless web cams - linux - senior monitoring

Mark Helmstetter novalug@helmstetter.com
Tue Feb 26 18:34:31 EST 2008

Looks like I forgot to reply-all for the first time.  Looks like mailman
isn't configured for Reply-To header munging?

Anyhow, I have a D-Link DCG-G900 2.4 GHz wireless camera that I'm quite
happy with.  We use it occasionally to monitor our cats while we are
away.  Newegg has them for $109.00.

It has a built in web server and does both stills and video.  I was
quite happy/surprised with the video capabilities, they have a nice Java
applet for video.  They also have an ActiveX version for the video but
I've never tried it.

It also has it's own configuration for FTP upload.  I've never used that
functionality, but seems straightforward.  It also has an email feature
where it will email the pics on a specified interval/time period.  It
does need a reasonable amount of light to work well.  I installed
florescent lightbulbs downstairs and we leave one of those lights on
when we're gone.

D-Link has an online emulator of the interface if you want to check it
out: http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dcsg900/Home.html