[Novalug] Connecting an EeePC with F8

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Tue Feb 26 10:37:40 EST 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Paul Bohme wrote:

> Mine's at work right now, but I'll check it when I get there.
> It uses a whack of stuff that's going to give most distros
> fits, so putting a customized Linux on it is a bit sticky, to
> say the least.  Am running Arch Linux on mine (personal distro
> of choice for just about everything) and it was a good bit of
> work to get going.

 	 Oww-ooo! Meseems I'm so far over my head I'm not sure
any light can reach me down here. I do know a guy in VTLUUG whose
.sig swears by arch; I'll ask him about it ...

> It uses the atl2 driver, which either isn't in the mainline
> kernel until very recently or needs to be patched in (I don't
> remember) before you'll have ethernet.  Wifi is stickier - you
> can opt to use ndiswrapper and the windows driver, or something
> less kludgy and go madwifi with a native driver.  In either
> case, you're looking at more hand-work.

 	Aaargh. At the behest of a much younger friend, I've just
downloaded & burned something called hardy-alternate-i386.iso,
which seems to be a form of Ubuntu 8.04; so I ran gedit's search
function against the package list I found in its
debian-installer. If that's the right place to look, I don't have
any atl2 anything.

> In short, it's not really hardware that's going to work 'out of
> the box' on too many distros.  I think a fellow I work with
> picked up an Eee for some hardware hacking, will see if he's
> still on the stock distro or not.
>
> In any event, check out eeeuser.com and especially their forums
> - was a goldmine when hacking on mine a few months ago.

 	Been there, done that; also to the appropriate Puppy
linux forum -- and yes, indeed. But I guess, not for the first
time, I just didn't realize how far over my head I was ...

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --