[Novalug] ubuntu 7.10 recovering from full screen games when resolution changes

Brandon Saxe brandon20va@yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 11:05:13 EST 2008

You might be able to run the game in a separate X
Server Display separate from your Desktop. I remember
doing this for a game in Wine years ago. You can
switch displays with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and up.

I found an old help file I saved that might help you
out in creating a custom gaming X display:

Here is what I do to get the game to run well. First,
add the following to your ~/.transgaming/config

[AppDefaults\AxisAllies.exe\x11drv]
"Desktop" = "640x480"
"Managed" = "N"
"DXGrab" = "N"

Yes, contrary to the rumours on the board, you can
have application specific settings in Wine. I do it
all the time.

Then create this script:

#!/bin/bash
cp -f ~/.xinitrc .xinitrc.bak
echo "winex AxisAllies.exe" > ~/.xinitrc
startx -- :1 -screen screen640
rm ~/.xinitrc
cp .xinitrc.bak ~/.xinitrc

And drop it in your Axis and Allies Directory

Finally, you need to create and entry called Screen640
in your /etc/X11/XF86Config...Here's mine:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen640"
Device "Matrox Millennium G400"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "640x480"
Viewport 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

This give you the game full screen, no focus problems
or anything. Works great. I can bounce back and forth
as I please