[Novalug] Searching for a new email client

Karri Balk kbalk@cutter.rexx.com
Sun Feb 24 19:41:59 EST 2008

> I still use Pine, and say... if it's not broken don't fix!

If you still want to use pine or (gasp!) elm, there is an easier
way of dealing with html.  You can invoke a Perl script through
procmailrc to manipulate the mime message in the email to your
liking.  There is an ancient Perl module in CPAN that I believe
was/is called mime_strip.html_bodies.pl that will give you an example
of how you can do this.

The original Perl module is a bit messy and doesn't cover all the
variants of mime messages, but basically if there is both a text and
html version in an email message, it strips the html and keeps the html.
If there is only html, it runs the html through lynx and puts the
resultant text in your email.

You could also have your script the images, .doc or .pdf files
and place them in an appropriate directory if that's what you wanted
or get more clever if you wish.

I haven't invested a lot of time in my Perl script or I would offer it
up.  I find there are new variants in mime messages and so I tweak my
script (and procmailrc) now and then, but I keep thinking I'm going
to switch to a better email system and it's not worth the bother.
This email thread has me thinking I should look at Thunderbird.

Anyway, that's my .02 cents worth for those who like the text/non-GUI
mail viewers.

Karri