[Novalug] 802.11b/g over coax?

Brian Leeper brian.leeper@gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 01:51:22 EST 2008

Let's say I had a wireless access point, and a wireless network card of
either the 802.11b or 802.11b/g type.

Let's say both had RP-SMA connectors and I had an RP-SMA to "F" male adapter
on each one. (I have no idea if such an adapter actually exists).

If I used RG6 coax with F connectors on each end to connect the two 802.11b/g
devices, would it work? How far could I go with typical devices if the
attenuation of the RG6 coax is 10.2dB per 100 feet at 2.4GHz? Of course
there's also an impedance mismatch, since RG6 is 75 ohm and the wireless
devices expect a 50-ohm antenna, so that will, as I recall, reduce the
signal strength as well. From what I remember the signal loss from the
impedance mismatch is very small,  but I have no idea how to calculate it.
Hmm, maybe I should buy a copy of the ARRL handbook...

-Brian