[Novalug] how to lock a file with a key

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:30:40 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Greg Faust <gregfaust@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not an expert, but 3 options I can think of are gnupg (you would need
> your keys to unscramble the file) or a password protected zip, or use
> TrueCrypt and create a file based encrypted virtual drive, then copy
> whatever you want to the drive, unmount the drive, email it to yourself and
> use truecrype on the other end to mount the drive and get your stuff...
> might want to zip the virtual drive but encrypted stuff tends to compress
> poorly.

You don't need to email the file to yourself.  Establish (if you don't have
already) an account on an email system with web access (gmail, yahoo, many
ISPs...).   Encrypt the file (private key encryption should be fine as
you're the only one who needs the passphrase/key).  Attach it to an email
but do not send it - leave it as a draft.  At your destination, go to the
webmail account, open the draft message, download and decrypt the
attachment.

Steve