[Novalug] ubuntu eats your laptop's hard drive

Jeff Stoner leapfrog@freeshell.org
Thu Feb 14 09:58:03 EST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Anthony Soucek wrote:

> I have noticed that if I shut down my acer laptop normally it
> periodically during boot says something like- forcing disk check, file
> system shut down 33 times without checking..... then it runs a long
> disk check (by long I mean 60 seconds), I dont know if this is usual
> for linux but it's no problem so far.  I seldom try to hiberante the

Yes, this is a feature of your filesystem. The ext2 and ext3 filesystems
have 2 counters associated with them: number of times mounted and number
of days since last check. Every time you mount a filesystem, these
counters are incremented. If either counter exceeds a configurable value,
a fsck is forced during the mount. If you manually run a fsck, these
counters are reset.

For those wondering, you can set these configurable values on each file
system with tune2fs.

--Jeff

"I am not available for comment"