[Novalug] EEE RAM upgrade

Paul Bohme novalug@bohme.org
Sat Feb 9 14:12:48 EST 2008

Rich Goodwin wrote:
> I am considering buying an ASUS EEE - 4GB version.  I heard/read that
> the white/pearl version is the better one to buy to get access to the
> RAM.  This really did not make sense since I would not expect color
> models to vary but .... can anyone confirm/deny this??

Picked up a black one a few months ago.  Upgraded to 2GB of ram right
off the top.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701#models has info on the hardware (and
which ones may have problems with RAM upgrades.)

> A colleaque mentioned that when he upgraded to 2GB RAM, the OS only
> recognized 1GB.  That may be okay if the rest coul dbe used as a RAMdisk
> (http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:addaramdisk) and are able to hibernate
> the system as opposed to shutting down.
>
> Has anyone done this yet???

Yes, the stock kernel can't use the full 2GB.  Tons of instructions on
making it work, above linked wiki.

> I'm more than curious ..... I have two business trips where have the eee
> might be advantageous.

Handy little toy, those. ;-)

  -P