[Novalug] Obvious SPAM

Richard Rognlie rrognlie@gamerz.net
Mon Feb 4 09:46:33 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 09:32:40AM -0500, Ed T. Toton III wrote:
> Yes, I'd treat it as normal spam.
>
> I'll second the recommendation for using SPF records in your domain name,
> if you can do so. It'll help cut down on this sort of thing, at least in
> terms of the return-path, or "envelope" from-field. Some mail systems may
> actually check the header from-field too. It depends on the
> implementation.
>
> My answer is you shouldn't be too concerned. This happens all the time,
> and any semi-intelligent spam filter or mail admin will know not to trust
> it. The header's from-field is just informational, and the spammers can
> put anything they want there.
>
> In terms of it being misinterpreted by other recipients who don't know
> anything about how mail and SMTP works, SPF is all you can do to try to
> curb that.

It's not "all you can do"  You can also look at DomainKeys Identified Mail
(DKIM).  I gave a presentation at the LUG a couple of months ago...

Slides can be found via here

        http://www.novalug.com/node/110

Richard

--
 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Ninja / Gamerz.NET Lackey
 \__/  \ | http://www.gamerz.net/~rrognlie    <rrognlie at gamerz.net>